Faculty Curriculum Committee
The Faculty Curriculum Committee (FCC) provides overall supervision and coordination of the MB ChB curriculum and reports to Faculty Board.
The FCC also receives and considers reports from the Medical Education Committees and the ELM Year 2/3, Dunedin, Christchurch and Wellington Medical Education Groups, Year Coordinators, Task groups (including the Clinical Skills, Evidence Based Medicine, Hauora Māori, Assessment, Evaluation, Staff Development, Rural Health and Information Technology task groups), student and community reference groups and ad hoc working groups.
The Governance of the MB ChB degree in relation to the curriculum has been reviewed (Download the MB ChB Governance diagram HERE in PDF format).
The various sub-committees of FCC have been renamed to clarify the links between the operational and academic components of the curriculum development groups.
The FCC Sub-Committees are:
|Curriculum Sub-Committee DSM||CSC DSM|
|Curriculum Sub-Committee UOC||CSC UOC|
|Curriculum Sub-Committee UOW||CSC UOW|
|Curriculum Sub-Committee ELM||CSC ELM|
|Curriculum Sub-Committee RMIP||CSC RMIP|
|Curriculum Sub-Committee Inter-campus 4/5||CSC Inter-campus 4/5|
|Curriculum Sub-Committee Inter-campus TI||CSC Inter-campus TI|
|Faculty Education Research & Quality Improvement||FERQI|
|Faculty Assessment Sub-Committee||FASC|
|eLearning & ICT||eLICT|
Terms of Reference – Download the FCC Terms of Reference in (PDF format)
Next Meeting: Friday 24 May 2013
Time: 09.30am – 2.00 pm
Venue: By video link
Meeting Dates 2013:
|15 Feb||Dunedin – Face to Face||Sayers Bd Rm||10.30am – 3pm|
|22 Mar||Video conference||10.00am – 2.30pm|
|19 Apr||Wellington – Face to Face||D08||09.00am – 2pm|
|24 May||Video conference
||09.30am – 2pm
|19 July||Dunedin– Face to Face||Sayers Bd Rm||10.30am – 3pm|
|16 Aug||Video conference
||09.30am – 2pm
|27 Sept||Christchurch – Face to Face||time TBA|
|8 Nov||Video conference||09.30am – 2pm
|6 Dec||Dunedin – Face to Face||Sayers Bd Rm||10.30am – 3pm|
Current Major Curriculum Projects:
Clinical Skills in the Undergraduate Medical Curriculum: An Overview Map (Nov. 2012) NEW
The Faculty is working toward ensuring that clinical skills learning is consistent and coordinated for all students.
Members of the Clinical Skills Subcommittee have developed this “clinical skills map” and included not only the specific skills but also our expectations of what level of learning the students should achieve at each stage of training (by the end of year 3, year 5 and year 6).
The next step is for each clinical skill director to ask module convenors, for each skill, whether each skill is:
a. Assessed in their module
b. Taught to all
c. All students on this module will have the opportunity to learn this.
d. Learning this skill might occur for some students but cannot be guaranteed for all (opportunistic)
e. Not covered in this module
f. Free text comments from module convenors about clinical skills taught that aren’t in the list, skills that may be learnt but to a different level than specified
Following this, the current teaching and learning will be compared with the desired
Prof Tim Wilkinson
Chair, Clinical Skills Subcommittee
- To read the full overview map in PDF format download in PDF format – Faculty Clinical Skills Overview 2013
A Masterplan for the Otago Medical Course of the Future
A “Masterplan for the Otago Medical Course of the Future” has now been finalised by FCC and endorsed by the Faculty Executive. The Masterplan aims to set the vision and direction for the medical course. It is aimed to guide those involved in designing, improving and delivering the course and should be referred to when considering changes.
We do not expect all aspects within this vision to be implemented immediately but, as with other Masterplans, changes that are made to the course should be consistent with the general direction of this vision and should not hinder its realisation. Proposed innovations therefore are more likely to be approved by the Faculty Curriculum Committee, if they are in the direction of the Masterplan.
The Faculty Curriculum Committee therefore welcomes ideas and innovations that show ways in which it can be implemented. The Faculty Curriculum Committee also welcomes ideas for ways in which the Masterplan can be improved.
Prof Tim Wilkinson
- To read the full Masterplan in PDF format – CLICK HERE
Previous Minutes of FCC: (Staff and Students only)
2013 FCC Minutes:
2012 FCC Minutes:
- Download the 7 Dec 2012 FCC Minutes (PDF)
- Download the 2 November 2012 FCC Minutes (PDF)
- Download the 28 September 2012 FCC Minutes (in PDF Format)
- Download the 17 August 2012 FCC Minutes (in PDF Format)
- Download the 6 July 2012 FCC Minutes (in PDF Format)
- Download the 25 May 2012 FCC Minutes (in PDF Format)
- Download the 27 April 2012 FCC Minutes (in PDF format)
- Download the 30 March 2012 FCC Minutes (in PDF format)
- Download the 24 February 2012 FCC Minutes (in PDF format)
2011 FCC Minutes:
- Download the 09 December 2011 FCC Minutes (in PDF format)
- Download the 21 October 2011 FCC Minutes (in PDF format)
- Download the 30 September 2011 FCC Minutes (in PDF format)
- Download the 26 August 2011 FCC Minutes (in PDF format)
- Download the 29 July 2011 FCC Minutes (in PDF format)
- Download the 24 June 2011 FCC Minutes (in PDF format)
- Download the 27 May 2011 FCC Minutes(in PDF format)
- Download the 29 April 2011 FCC Minutes (in PDF format)
- Download the 25 March 2011 FCC Minutes (in PDF format)